Latest Blog Posts
- Things I Learned From Being a Motorcycle InstructorThis post was originally published internally at a previous employer, as part of a series on learning to coach and provide feedback to employees. Introduction I mentioned in an earlier blog post that one of my interests was motorcycling. In fact I was a volunteer instructor with the Ottawa Safety Council’s motorcycle rider course for… Continue reading Things I Learned From Being a Motorcycle Instructor
- Making Better PresentationsI’ve been working on a document for the last twenty years, consolidating my notes from presentations that I thought were especially good or bad into a set of advice on presenting well. This has become my own approach to making presentations, and it works well for me. I’m making the document available publicly here, in… Continue reading Making Better Presentations
- Develop a reliable estimate during an elevator ride? Yes you can.“Elevator Speeches” are an important tool in management. By chance, you find yourself in an elevator with a senior decision maker for 30 seconds. Can you do something useful with that time? You should have an “elevator speech” ready, or be capable of generating one instantly, for several topics, such as: Who are you? What… Continue reading Develop a reliable estimate during an elevator ride? Yes you can.
- Lessons from Star TrekAt my last few employers I used to blog regularly and encourage other executives to blog. I will be reproducing slightly modified versions of some of those blog posts here. This one was intended to be a little “tongue-in-cheek” because I had a bit of a reputation as a nerd. It discusses leadership lessons we… Continue reading Lessons from Star Trek
- Depth vs BreadthAt my last few employers I used to blog regularly and encourage other executives to blog. I will be reproducing slightly modified versions of some of those blog posts here. This one, on the subject of when and how to expand skills and knowledge, was first published in early 2019. Depth vs Breadth? In this… Continue reading Depth vs Breadth